Like Tree4Likes

Rental costs of furnishing a 2-3 bed apartment

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rental costs of furnishing a 2-3 bed apartment

We've found an unfurnished 3 bed property but will probably have 2 bedrooms and make the 3rd a study.

I've had a look around at some of the more popular (it seems from Google) furniture renting websites, Indigo and Home Essentials, but it isn't clear either how much the monthly rental is going to be or what you're getting for your money. We'd like just some nice, modern looking furniture in good condition so how much do you think it would cost roughly to furnish the apartment? So, lets say:

Bedrooms
    2 beds, a couple of bedside tables and a chest of drawers
    1 desk and chair for the study
    Lounge
    1 sofa and 1 chair
    1 dining room table and chairs (seats 4)
    1 rug
    1 tv stand and flat-screen
    1 coffee table

Home essentials do a package (for a 2 bedroom property) for about
    3K HKD a month (no TV or desk/chair) but I'm wondering if there's anywhere cheaper or is it just a bit of a rip off?

Also, we're staying a minimum of 2 years so is that a short-term or long-term rental?

Thanks alot

Mila22 likes this.

3K a months seems a lot but then you get the convenience of not having to sell or ship the stuff later.
    But over two years that makes 72k, for that you can surely furnish the place yourself, unless you have some expensive taste. More leg work but you can chose what you want and get brand-new furniture instead.

I normally rent furnished but the apartment (2 bedrooms) I wanted was snapped up on the day I made my decision, so I settled for an unfurnished on in the same estate. Spent around 20-22k I think (1 bed, sofabed, custom-made TV-board, dining table w/ 4 chairs, shoe cabinet and a book cabinet) but saved 2k a month in rent, thus after a year I broke even. I had a Flat-screen TV already but they are not too expensive nowadays anyway, maybe another 5-10k depending on brand, size and features.

Not exactly the same as renting the furniture, I know, just showing that the money you spend on renting might turn out to be more than what you spend on buying, especially if you know you will stay for at least 2 years (same in my case). And you may of course get some money back when you leave and sell the stuff

bluetillew and etotheipi like this.

PS: Home Essentials seems to consider less than 3 months as short term and long term is stated as '... 3, 6, 15, 24 months, whatever you decide ...' while Indigo puts it as 'Long-term - 2 years Shorter-term - a month to a year'.

Last edited by Raccon; 27-06-2010 at 02:56 AM.

If you're staying for 24 months or more, then buying your own stuff is likely to be much cheaper, even if you are unable to sell it at the end of your stay here.

If you can't sell, this is a great way to dispose of unwanted household stuff

Welcome to the Crossroads Foundation — Crossroads Global Distribution

How could buying your stuff be cheaper? Definitely go with Home Essentials (Welcome - Home Essentials, Hong Kong Furniture Rental company, Home Furnishings) -- I use them and have had a great experience. I'm the kind that doesn't like to hassle with it and they took care of everything. Long term is 12+ months.

Quote Originally Posted by lovell:
    How could buying your stuff be cheaper?
    Furniture is cheap to buy. For 12 months x 3k a month someone could easily furnish a flat for less than the annual cost of $36k and have no cost if their stay in Hong Kong is longer than planned (a very common occurence).

I meant to mention that $3k is too much.

My 2 bedroom package (furniture, kitchen, electronics, etc.) is only $1,400 per month and I chose the high-end items.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Furniture is cheap to buy. For 12 months x 3k a month someone could easily furnish a flat for less than the annual cost of $36k and have no cost if their stay in Hong Kong is longer than planned (a very common occurence).
    And on top of that shop like ikea will give you a 12 months interest-freen installment plan

Ok Cons and Pros of renting furniture?...shoot..

I'll start with cons. You're not totally secured. That is you don't feel secured knowing that the furniture is not yours and one careless move you might break it.....it happens....

I just don't feel comfortable having a borrowed item in my place.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by lovell:
    My 2 bedroom package (furniture, kitchen, electronics, etc.) is only $1,400 per month and I chose the high-end items.
    Is that before or after your staff discount?
    bookblogger likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast